Art Omi: Artists invites artists from around the world, representing a wide diversity of artistic styles and practices, to gather in rural New York to experiment, collaborate and share ideas. Concentrated time for creative work is balanced with the stimulation of cultural exchange and critical appraisal.
Art Omi: Artists nurtures deep creative and professional connections in a vibrant, social residency. Artists are provided with a private studio, shared living quarters, and meals at no cost, but are responsible for their travel and material expenses, unless they are eligible for travel grants as specified in our fellowships guidelines. Each session, two critics/curators are invited to participate as Critics-in-Residence. They both lead discussions, help shape the Visitors program and make individual studio visits throughout the duration of the residency session.
Critics for the 2024 residency sessions are Monika Fabijanska and Xin Wang. You can read about them here:
Art Omi: Artists eligibility guidelines:
- Artists currently enrolled in either a BFA or MFA are not eligible to apply. Applicants must be out of school at the time of the application. However, PhD students or professional artists with at least 3 years of professional experience, currently enrolled in a masters degree program other than in the arts are eligible.
- Art Omi accepts applications from self-taught professional artists. Having received a degree or certification, or having formally studied art are not requirements for Art Omi: Artists residency. However, resumes/cv must reflect at least three years of professional experience as an exhibiting artist.
- Applications must be submitted in the English language. Please make sure all application materials including your resume/CV, and your biography are in English.
- If you work on a team, please fill one application ONLY. Only one person will be the contact person for the TEAM application. Please make sure to mark on the resume ALL of the names of the artists being part of the group. The entire application must reflect work done by the team, not individual works. One time collaborators must submit two independent applications.
- Art Omi Alumni are not eligible for a return residency. In order to give as many artists as possible the chance for a residency at Art Omi, we ask that alumni do not apply for a return residency. We appreciate you spreading the word to artists who have not been to Art Omi yet.
Please submit the following:
- Resume/CV reflecting at least 3 years of professional experience as artist
- Short biography in narrative form
- Artist Statement
- 8 images OR links to 3 video excerpts, or 5 images AND 1 video. Video excerpts must be no longer than 1 minute each and are preferably made available for download on Vimeo if possible
- Brief description for each image or video submitted
Residency dates: June 20—July 15, 2024
Applications are accepted through 11:59 PM on October 15, 2023
Click here for more information about this prize.