Guest Artist Space Foundation (G.A.S.) and Yinka Shonibare Foundation (Y.S.F.) have put out an open call for applications for the second iteration of the annual G.A.S. Fellowship Award. Between September 2023 and March 2024, three fully-funded 6-8 week residencies will be offered to practitioners based in West Africa. Two of the residencies will take place in Lagos while one takes place at the G.A.S. sister location on the G.A.S. Ecology Green Farm in Ijebu.
Committed to facilitating multidisciplinary access to this opportunity, G.A.S. and Y.S.F. welcome applications from individuals practicing in all relevant creative fields that could range from visual art, craft, architecture, design, and curatorial research. Each fellowship is fully funded, including room and board, return transport to Lagos, a weekly stipend of 100,000 NGN, a total materials allowance of 100,000 NGN, and access to a range of resources and pastoral support.
Applications are welcome from emerging practitioners – with 5 or fewer years of professional practice in all creative disciplines – and those whose practice responds, and is not limited, to the following areas:
- Materiality: the exploration and use of matter, materials used in the creation and formation of artwork
- Ecology, Food and Environment: those exploring climate impact, social justice, food production, works in the natural world
- History in the Present: using historical materials to rethink the present (archives, objects/image collections, storytelling aural/written)
How to apply:
Applicants are implored to submit the following information (below) using this link:
- A PDF portfolio of 5 – 10 images (for video work, please limit clips to 3 minutes in length)
- An up-to-date CV
- A short proposal can be submitted in either writing (max 500 words) or video (max 3 minutes), including these points:
- How you would use a 6-8 week residency to benefit the development of your research and work
- How your current practice responds to one of the themes and/or is an emergent practice
- How you might connect or contribute to the cultural life and public programme in either Lagos or Ijebu
The call for the 2023 G.A.S. Fellowship Award is open from the 10th of July, 2023 to the 13th of August, 2023.
For more information of the G.A.S. Fellowship Award, click here.